That time again,
Here's the 5th installment of the World Quizzing Championship Practice sets. We are at half-way. I hope you are enjoying them so far.
Some questions are a bit shorter than normal.Whether they are easier are not is another matter.
Normally one picture per genre,but I needed two for the Sport genre this time.
I hope these help.Enjoy...................
1.He currently holds the world record for a piece of work sold at auction by a living artist,when his 'Balloon Dog (Orange)' sculpture sold for $55 million,in 2013.His other famous works include 'Puppy', located (pictured) outside the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao,'Kiepenkerl,' in Washington DC and the seventeenth,(and perhaps best known),of the BMW 'art cars' (pictured).What is the name of this contemporary American artist?
2. Featuring his best known poem,'Terje Vigen',which 19th century European writer,published his only collection of poetry in 1871,entitled 'Digte'?
3. In which Australian city,are the important institutions,the National Gallery,the National Library,the National Museum and the Royal Australian Mint,all located?
1. Thought to be the origin of social contract theory,what is the name of the noted work,named after a biblical sea monster,that was written by the 17th century philosopher Thomas Hobbes?
2.Which 15th century French explorer was the first European to describe and map the Gulf of Saint Lawrence and the shores of the Saint Lawrence river,which he named 'The Country of Canadas'?
3.(Pictured) She is commonly depicted as a cow goddess with horns,and within those horns,is set a sun disk. .Which important Egyptian goddess of love,music,joy and dancing was identified by the Greeks with Aphrodite and by the Romans with Venus?
1.In terms of digital download single sales,nine of the top ten best selling all-female groups are from South Korea. Which American female group stops this top ten clean sweep,by being listed in third place?
2.Used to accompany the Catalan folk dance known as a Sardana, what is the name of the traditional music ensemble of Catalonia, that consists of 11 members?
3. (Pictured) Also known for playing the role of Andy Dwyer in the US TV show 'Parks and Recreation',which actor provided the voice for the protagonist,'Emmet Brickowski',in the 2014 film,'The Lego Movie'?
Sports and Games
1.In the US,it is known as 'The Most Exciting Two Minutes In Sports'. On which racecourse is the annual Kentucky Derby horse race run?
2.The American golfer,David Duval, is one of only three men to have hit a '59' round on the US PGA Main Tour,in its history. The second (left) is a three time 'major' runner-up,who scored 59 in 1991 and the third (right) is the 1966 US Open Champion,who achieved his '59' in 1977? Name either of these golfers (Pictured)?
Chip Beck and Al Geiberger
3. (Pictured) The game involved players competing in a series of events using cards,dice and flicking a small plastic yellow disc against a taut elastic band.What is the name of this board game,which is named after a famous 1970s sporting icon?
Bruce Jenner Decathlon Game
1.In which autonomous region of Spain will you find the provinces of Burgos, Salamanca and Valladolid?
Castile and Leon
2.(Pictured) Considered by some to be the true inventor of the variable resistance telephone,which 19th century American engineer ,(and founder of Western Electric Manufacturing Company) lost out to Alexander Graham Bell in obtaining the patent for the telephone?
3. Literally meaning 'seal pup bay',it is located immediately south of Reykjavik.With a population of around 30,000,what is Iceland's second largest municipality?
1.(Pictured) She competed at the 1968 US Championships for figure skating,but did not make the Olympic squad.After this she went into fashion,where she became a senior fashion editor at Vogue for sixteen years.She opened her own label in 1990 and is now world renowned for her bridal gowns,including those worn by Alicia Keys,Victoria Beckham and Avril Lavigne.Who is this American designer of Chinese parentage?
2.Founded in 1979 by Curtis Sliwa,it started as an organisation to combat widespread violence and crime on the New York City Subways.It has now spread across the world,also providing education workshops for schools and businesses.What is the name of this organisation,easily recognisable by the red beret worn by its members?
3.Erode, a city in the south Indian state of Tamil Nadu, is the world's largest producer of which plant,used as a spice and commonly known as 'haldi' in India?
1.Based on the Uncle Remus cycle of stories by Joel Chandler,this 1946 Disney film features both animation and live action.Perhaps best known for its Academy Award winning song 'Zip-a-Dee-Doo-Dah',what is the name of this film,set in America,during the late 19th century?
Song of The South
2.This comic book superhero has the alter-ego Clint Barton and was played on screen by Jeremy Renner in the 2012 film 'The Avengers'.What is the name of this character,who may also be familiar to tennis referees ?
3.First appearing in the 'Peanuts' comic strip in 1972,what is the name of the younger brother of Linus and Lucy Van Pelt?
1.Derived from the Greek word meaning 'both',what term,used in chemistry,describes a molecule or ion that is capable of reacting as an acid as well as a base?
2. (Pictured) A pioneer in the fields of radioactivity and radiochemistry,which German chemist and Nobel Laureate,is credited with the discovery of nuclear fission,by a process of bombarding uranium atoms with neutrons?
3.Scientifically defined as its 'mass per unit volume',which Greek alphabetic letter is most often used to represent 'density'?